The most important place in the house
is the place of worship, the poojaghar. As far as possible the poojaghar
should be in the north-east of the house. In the event of the house being
too small to have an exclusive poojaghar, one can atleast have the place
of worship in the north-eastern side. Place it in such a fashion that
the deity would face the west while the one who performs the pooja would
Photographs or images of two different deities should never be placed
in front of each other. If the number of deities are more than one, they
should be placed in one straight line.
The bedroom should be in the southern or the south-western part of the
house & it should be arranged in such a way, that whoever sleeps
there would have his head towards the south & his feet towards the
north. On awaking up one should have ones sight set in the north, the
abode of Lord Kubera, who showers prosperity.
- Godown for grains & food materials:
The family never faces shortage of food & grains if the north-western
side of the house is spared for storing them. Metallic objects, not
being used, can also be stored in this room. But since the south-west
direction is supposed to be the abode of demons, the poojaghar should
never be located in this direction. This room should have the minimum
number of doors & windows & these should be as small as possible.
This room should be dark-coloured & should never be used for auspicious
- Sitting Room / Living Hall: The living
room is an important part of the house. Hence it should be in the northern
portion. Its door should open either to the north or the north-east.
The furniture in this room should be placed in the southern & the
western direction. It is always better to leave the northern part of
this room open.
- Bathroom: The bathroom in the house should
be in the north, the east or the north-eastern direction. A bathroom
in the north-east of the house brings in prosperity. If it is in the
eastern-side, it ushers in physical well-being along with prosperity.
A bathroom located in the south-east of the house is not good for the
health of the lady of the house.
- Toilet: The south-east is the ideal direction
in which to have a toilet in the house. The west is also passable. But
toilets should never be constructed in the north, the east or the north-eastern
- Kitchen: The kitchen should be located
in the south-east of the house. Appliances like stoves should be kept
in the south-eastern direction in the room. The arrangement should be
such that the one who prepares food would have his /her face towards
- Dinning hall: The west of the house is
ideally suited for the dining hall. While partaking the food one should
sit facing the east. This arrangement makes everybody contended &
peace prevails among family members.
- Veranda: The eastern & northern sides
are ideal for making verandas or balconies. They should be short compared
to the height of other rooms of the house.
- Wash Basin: Wash Basin should be either
in the east or in the north. Due to such arrangement, one faces either
east or north whenever the basin is used for different purposes like
washing hands, face or shaving.
- The main entrance should be in the east or north
but should be in line with the gate of the compound wall.
- The wall of the house on the north-eastern side
should have a minimum height.
- If the wall of the house in the east is high,
it stalls the entry of prosperity, the goddess Laxmi, into the house.
Therefore, it should be kept low.
- The southern side of the house should be as
high & heavy as possible.
- In any room of the house a beam or column should
not cross the center.
- The terrace or balcony in the house should be
either in the east or the north.
- A well, a pole or a temple should not exist
in front of the main entrance of the house.
- The slope of the house should be towards the
east, the north or the north-east.
- The main entrance of the house should not be
in front of that, of the opposite house.
- The upper storeys of the house should be constructed
on the soutern or the western part.
- Cupboards in the wall should be in the southern
or the western direction of the house.
Auspicious & Inauspicious
- A house without a roof or a ceiling, a door
or window is considered to be inauspicious.
- A house is stated to be inauspicious if a house
warming ceremony or vastushanti is not performed.
- A house with its entrance in the south is considered
to be inauspicious.
- A house is considered to be inauspicious if
someone has committed suicide in it.
- A house situated opposite a place of worship
such as a temple or a mosque, is inauspicious.
- A house with a cat kept as a pet in it is thought
to bee inauspicious.
- A house with a cow is auspicious.
- It is inauspicious if one faces Agni, as in
the stove, cooking gas cylinder & so on, immediately upon entering
- A toilet right in front of the house is inauspicious.
- Sickness becomes the order of the day if any
animal is killed on the land of the house.
- If while digging the foundation of the house,
water emerges, it is considered to be a bad omen.
- A pole in front of the main entrance is considered
to be inauspicious.